Talent management case 1 &3 CHU Shun Wang Anthony 115510698
Case analysis 1
1. After reading the case study there are certain reasons which demonstrated that Rick was not a let go. Ricks was a fresher and lacks experience. He joined the company because he knew that Mr. Peterson was into his work so far. He invested time in getting to know the plant and operations, meeting all employees and familiarizing himself with the problems in sales. Rick had saw some of the problems in the sales department and used his own logic to impress the Mr. Peterson and the management. He had started making changes here and there. For instance, he brought a computer and wanted to train to use computer in order to gain productivity which the managers didn’t like. He was aware that the company had a family culture associated here and it will take time to change the mind frame of the peoples working here. However he rounded off too fast and he thought that he could change the mentalities of the people easily by impressing them through new technology but it didn’t work. He did not have the experience so he got let go. Reinforcement theory applies to this situation in that when Rick started to take initiatives to solve the gaps in the Sales department by implementing new technology there was a resistance to change which is a negative reinforcement. Positive reinforcement had being with Val and Rick, when he had approached Mr. Peterson about bring in new technology had got a good response from him to continue with his work.
2. Rick had discussed with Mr. Ball the prospect of using the centralized computer system to run word processing and spreadsheet software on terminals. Mr. Ball was alarmed about the security issue and so he stopped him. Rick brought a computer at the office and several of the managers looked at him quizzically and as he was setting up the computer he got a call from Val. Rick brought a change which Rosie didn’t like as she used to handle the accounts and assumed that bringing a change will be a treat to her company as everyone will know the capabilities of each individual on their performance which she didn’t like. Walter was a VP in operations and had Business Partner and even he resisted the change because he thought bringing in new technology the newcomer wanted to show his capabilities that we are the losers doing nothing at the end of the day and this Boy is showing his talent to us. I believe Rick should have waited for the right time by slowly mixing with everyone. He should have discussed the problems with them and asked the solutions from them about what had to be performed when. He should have tried to train Rosie slowly in Accounts in a casual manner and teach her about the computer and show her the performance achieved through the use of it. The same could be done with Walter. He should have shown him the productive results which are achieved by using it. He should have talked over with them the problems he was facing and the solutions to be made.
3. As Rick was a newcomer which nobody liked it, Rosie had usually warned Rick that the company has a family culture and he should behave like a family which Rick misunderstood and started implementing changes form the day he joined in. He should have used the theory that people learn new behavior through observational learning of the social factors in their environment. If people observe positive, desired outcomes in the observed behavior, then they are more likely to model, imitate, and adopt the behavior themselves.
Case analysis 3
1. When it comes to Fred’s decision making in reference to using a third party vendor for training purposes, I believe that Fred made the best decision possible. Now, Fred based his decision purely on the fact that it embodies a quotation contained customized meetings in adjacent to the sales force for better understanding of the training course, along with being economical. In addition, customized meetings are essential because it allows the sales force team to be able to ask any questions they might feel needs to be addressed.
On the other hand, this kind of training allows the sales team to make better decision based on the new training material provided, so conducting classes on a smaller scale will foster a better learning environment and faster hands on approach on the job site. In accordance, training that provide reenactments of past experiences or future awareness training for client handling enables the trainees to get a full picture of any problems that might arise customer service wise.
2. Another thing that Fred might do before choosing a training package is requesting for referrals from the company to support him in selecting the specific organization or look elsewhere. Fred’s decision-making involves time and money being spent. Therefore, in order for Fred to want to make this kind of investment, Fred should first contact the organizations already practicing this type of training program in order gain their insight and if they were successful based on real life experience. In conjunction, Fred needs to make sure that whatever organization he decides to hire to train all his employees, Fred must make sure that the other organizations objectives align with his company’s training objectives. Moving forward, the key to finding a great training partner is by identifying the training strategy through requirement theory by allowing the training organizations to ask the prime questions, which is what does Fred expect his employees to learn in the training? Thus identifying the final objective of Fred.
What’s more, if the organization conducting the training meets Fred’s requirements, then they can measure his mission and encourage his employees to efficiently train in accordance to motivating them as well. Once, Fred carries out his plan on finding the best external training organization, the external organization would be more receptive to using good reinforcement for their training and development techniques. The trainees can then get accustomed to being rewarded with a positive reinforcement when they do something right. Therefore, Fred needs to adapt his organization to meet the training and development-learning environment once the training organization is done with their training contract.
Fred needs to make any adjustments to his training in an effort to run his business as planned. In order for Fred to experience a successful training, Fred needs to focus on the primary objective, which is making sure his employees are retaining the training material, as well as influencing them in a positive manner. However, Fred needs to request a small demonstration of the entire procedure, because it will help Fred know first-hand if the training organization materials is connecting with his employees, and identify if the training material is appropriate with Fred’s objectives.
3. If training went ahead as indicated, it would be prosperous giving the fact that program will enable the employees to partake in personalizing their own training. Therefore, Fred needs to double check that the training organization are using methods that meet his organizations objectives in order for the training to be categorized as being efficient. In the beginning, if the training organizations trainers are aware and fully understand the final objective, the training will be effective. Another thing to note is that Fred needs to reaffirm that the training organization is currently offering the specific training required by Fred, and that they are using the right training methods, right motivators and are utilizing reinforcements according to Fred’s expectations.
Thus, if Fred checks off his checklist, then there is no reason why his organization should not be effective on accomplishing his objective. After training, the employees will be better prepared at their jobs, and can be more efficient on training other workers, thus benefiting the organization. This training process will also make sure that their customer service is being handled on a timely manner, and with the upmost service. Therefore, ultimately this would benefit both the training organization and Fred’s organization as his was able to find the best training organization, which in turn makes his training run effectively.